Combs Peak ( 6193’ )
Location: San Diego
County, about 8 miles north of Warner Springs,
127 miles from Los Angeles
Date : Nov 03, 2019 09:11
~ 11:52 ( 2h 41m )
Trailhead ( 09:11; 5050’ ) ~ Saddle ( 09:51; 5600’ ) ~
Summit ( 10:10; 6193’ ) ~ Saddle ( 11:14; 5600’ ) ~ Trailhead (
RT 5 Miles, 1200’ Gain
With : Alone
- Take I-15 south to Temecula.
- Take the second off-ramp for SR 79, signed "79 South /
Indio". Turn left (east) on SR 79.
- Pass through Aguanga in 18 miles; continue 5 more miles to
Oak Grove Campground and Ranger Station, then another 3 miles to the
Chihuahua Valley Road on the left (paved). Turn left. Note your odometer
and go as follows:
- At 6.4 miles, the paved road turns sharp right. There is a
wide gate and a large metal arch/entrance that leads to a private
development. To the right of that is a small dirt road, turn onto that
small dirt road.
- At 8.0 miles, gate. This gate is sometimes locked. If it is
locked, park here. This adds 7 miles round trip.
- At 11.4 miles, the road reaches a saddle. The Pacific Crest
Trail (PCT) crosses the road here and there is a sign "State Park
Property". Park here.
- From the parking area (5050', UTM 378935), hike north 2 miles
on the PCT to a saddle (5600') just east-northeast of Combs Peak.
- From here, follow a ducked use trail west up to the summit.