The Pinnacles ( 5737’ )
( Location: San
Bernardino County, about 5 miles northwest of Lake Arrowhead,
80 miles from Los
Date : April 24,
2019 13:03 ~ 16:17 ( 3h 14m )
Course : Trailhead (
13:03; 4784’ ) ~ Saddle/Ridge ( 14:13; 1.65 Mile; 5530’ ) ~
Summit ( 14:29;
1.07 Mile; 5737’ ) ~ Trailhead ( 16:17; 4.0 Miles; 4784’ );
Gain : 1200’
With : Sierra Club HPS
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Drive east on I-10 to I-215.
- Drive north on I-215 to SR 210.
- Go east on SR 210 to SR 18
(Waterman Avenue) in San Bernardino. Exit the freeway and turn left
- Drive north on SR 18 to Daley
Canyon Road about 5.5 miles east of the Crestline SR 138 turnoff. Turn
left (north) on Daley Canyon Road. Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 0.5 mile, junction with SR
189. Turn left.
- At 0.8 mile, fork. Go right and
then immediately left onto Grass Valley Road.
- At 2.8 miles, fork with Grass
Valley Road on the left. Turn left.
- At 5.3 miles, intersection with
SR 173. Turn left.
- At 5.5 miles, intersection with
Pilot Rock Road (2N33). This is the turnoff for Mount
- Continue on SR 173 about 0.7
mile to a sign "Pinnacles Trail Head" and park in an open area
on the left side of the road.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (4800'),
hike along the road to the trailhead at the entrance to the rifle range.
The trail has posts ("trail" with an arrow) at points where
there may be indecision about the route.
- Follow the maintained trail (an
old road) generally northwest to where it drops down to a grassy area with
two Coulter pine trees. Just past this point a prominent wash, coming down
the slope from the right, crosses the trail.
- Turn right (north) and go up
this wash, keeping to the right where it forks, and following a fairly
prominent use trail to a shallow saddle just west of bump 5078'.
- Follow the trail northwest up a
gully to the flat area just southeast of the summit.
- Continue on the trail up to the
base of the summit and follow a ducked route through the rocks to the